The League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill (LWVGH) is an offshoot of the League of Women Voters of Massachusetts (LWVMA) and thus has the same mission, visions, beliefs, and intentions as our parent organization.
Like our parent and sister organizations, the League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Vision, Beliefs and Intentions
The goal of the League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill is to empower citizens in our communities to improve them and to help shape better communities within our state, country, and worldwide.
The League of Women Voters of the Greater Haverhill is a non-partisan political membership organization, which
- Acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels.
- Builds citizen participation in the democratic process.
- Engages our community in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters Education Fund is a nonpartisan public policy educational organization, which
- Builds citizen participation in the democratic process;
- Studies key community issues at all government levels in an unbiased manner; and
- Enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
The League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill believes in the following:
- Respect for individuals,
- The value of diversity,
- The empowerment of the grassroots, both within our communities and the State and National Leagues, and
- The power of collective decision making for the common good.
The League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill will:
- Act with trust, integrity, and professionalism;
- Operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the Public;
- Take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership; and
- Acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.
Core Values of the League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill are the following:
- We are a nonpartisan political-membership organization.
- We believe that grassroots initiatives and consensus building are the strengths of our organization.
- We believe that our organization models the principles of good governance.
- We consider well before taking action and prepare well before beginning to act.
- We believe that citizenship requires knowledge as well as the ability and will to act.
- We believe that the responsibility of good government rests on the shoulders of its citizens.
- We believe that the rights of citizens at home and abroad are interdependent.
Principles of the League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill are the following:
- We believe in representative government and in the individual liberties established by the Constitution of the United States.
- We believe that democratic government
- Depends upon the informed and active participation of its citizens and
- Requires that governmental bodies protect the citizen’s right to know by
- Giving adequate notice of proposed actions,
- Holding open meetings, and
- Making public records accessible.
- We believe that
- Every citizen should be protected in the right to vote;
- Every person should have access to free public education that provides equal opportunity for all; and
- No person or group should suffer legal, economic, or administrative discrimination.
- We believe that efficient and economical government requires
- Competent personnel,
- The clear assignment of responsibility,
- Adequate financing, and
- Coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
- We believe that
- Responsible government should be responsive to the will of the people;
- Government should maintain an equitable and flexible system of taxation,
- Promote the conservation and development of natural resources in the public interest,
- Share in the solution of economic and social problems that affect the general welfare,
- Promote a sound economy, and
- Adopt domestic policies that facilitate the solution of international problems.
- We believe that
- Cooperation with other cities and states is indispensable in the search for answers to common issues,
- Cooperation with other nations is essential in the search for solutions to world problems, and
- Development of international organization and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.